2012 marked the 10th year anniversary for Lighthouse Trails Publishing (the publishing arm of Lighthouse Trails Research Project). It was March of 2002 that we began the ministry/publishing house and September 2002 when we released our first book, A Time of Departing by Ray Yungen. There is a line from a movie we just started carrying, The Printing, that best capsulates our view of this past year. One man said to another, “I ran out of my own strength a long time ago and am going just on the Lord’s now.” We like that. It reminds us of the following verses:
“My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
Remembering the Early Years
In March of this past year, we began a three-part article on the early years of Lighthouse Trails. The first part was titled How Lighthouse Trails Began – “It was a dark and stormy night.” It starts like this:
Every good mystery starts off with “It was a dark and stormy night.” But this is a different kind of mystery. It’s about a church, a Bride, that was mysteriously kidnapped by a dark deceitful stranger who came as an angel of light and promised her many great things if she would just follow him. And it’s about a small insignificant publishing company who teamed up with members of the Bride who did not succumb to the angel of light, in an effort to find out what happened to her and how to bring her back to safety.
The second part, titled Lighthouse Trails, the Early Years – Part 2 – “A Hot Topic” That Just Wouldn’t Go Away, talks about our initial correspondence with Rick Warren back in 2003 when we thought we could warn him about contemplative spirituality only to find out later that he had been promoting it for a long time already.
The third and final part of our early years article was titled Rick Warren Biographer, George Mair, Passes Away at 83 – The Rest of the Story and chronicled the story of what happens when a small publishing ministry challenges “America’s Pastor.”
We wrote that three-part article because we wanted our readers to know 1)what is the motivation behind Lighthouse Trails, and 2) how faithful God is when our own strength isn’t enough but His is ample.
WHAT WE DID IN 2012
Three Important Releases in 2012
Our first new book release for the year was Muddy Waters: an insider’s view of North American Native Spirituality. Written by a Canadian Cree First Nations woman, Nanci des Gerlaise, the book fits very much in with the mission of Lighthouse Trails as it addresses a spirituality that is identical in nature to contemplative/emerging spirituality. And in fact, you’ll find Native Spirituality now interwoven into the “New” contemplative spirituality and the emerging church and vice versa. This was a brave book for Nanci to write, and we thank the Lord for her courage to say what had to be said.
Our second new book release for 2012 is of a highly sensitive issue – child sexual abuse. Written from the perspective of an Investigative Police Sergeant, Patrick Crough, Seducers Among Our Children is a book that every parent should read. In fact, anyone that is involved in children’s lives should read this book. While it is a difficult read because of true life examples that Patrick shares from his own experiences, it will create an awareness in how to protect a child from sexual abuse that is absolutely essential to have in today’s world. The book offers practical ideas as well, making this an all around top-notch resource. You may think your child or grandchild is safe from abuse, but statistics show that huge numbers of children don’t reach their 18th birthdays without being sexually abused. We have always believed that the power in sexual abuse lies in its secrecy. When such darkness is exposed to light, it loses its strength.
Our third release this year is our own issue of Roger Oakland’s powerful DVD lecture series Searching for the Truth on Origins. The set has 14 lectures with nearly 12 hours of lecture from Roger. His brilliant deductions in his always understandable manner makes this an incredibly important product. You can see a preview clip on the store product page. Roger doesn’t just talk about evolution vs creation here (although this alone makes the set invaluable), but he shows how evolutionary thinking has drastically altered the spiritual climate (and the overall morality) in our world today and then shows how we can use “creation evangelism” to win lost souls to Christ.
New Products That Can Be Trusted
Since we first began Lighthouse Trails, we have not only published many of our own titles, we have added new books and DVDs that are published or produced by other companies. While there is a wide and growing assortment now of books, DVDs, and CDs in our collection, they all have one thing in common – they can all be trusted. We never add one single item without carefully reviewing it, researching the author’s background, and making sure it lines up with Scripture and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We aren’t just hunting around for products for the mere purpose of making our collection bigger. There has to be a reason to add a new product, and that reason has to be that it will bring strength, edification, exhortation, and/or understanding to the body of Christ and/or the Gospel message to the unbeliever.
In 2012, we added 56 new items to our product list. Here’s a brief synopsis:
1. NEW MUSICIAN – We have been very blessed to meet up with Canadian musician Trevor Baker. Roger Oakland introduced us to him and his music. Trevor travels around North America sharing his Gospel message through his music. He sings about many of the things that Lighthouse Trails writes about.
2. FANTASTIC DVD SET – Without a doubt, adding Joe Schimmel’s The Submerging Church DVD set has had a significant impact on the lives of many Lighthouse Trails readers. Our chief editor, David Dombrowski had this to say: “A fantastic and vital contribution! Schimmel’s research of the last 30 years brilliantly connects all the dots. What he has done in The Submerging Church resonates with Lighthouse Trails, Roger Oakland, Ray Yungen, and Warren Smith.”
3. NATIVE SPIRITUALITY – The topic of Native Spirituality and what is called the First Nations Movement (or Indigenous People’s Movement) is vital for the Christian to understand. So in addition to our own Muddy Waters, we have also added the First Nations Movement DVD lecture series with Mike Oppenheimer and Sandy Simpson as well as the testimonial DVD I’ll Never Go Back by Chief Shoefoot. These have allowed us to start a new category of products – Native Spirituality. Already, we have heard from many Native American Christians who have told us how grateful they are to have these resources available.
4. COMMUNISM - Another new category we added in 2012, fitting well with our Remembering the Holocaust category, is Remembering Communism. In addition to last year’s Small Price to Pay, Nikolai, and East Wind (by Dave Hunt’s wife, Ruth), we have added God Knows My Size, The Printing, and Precious. Like the Holocaust, we should not forget Communism and what happens when a country is run by an evil, God-forsaken government.
5. NEW FREE THINGS – In 2012, we created several free PDF articles at the store, and a lot of people are getting these. We’ll be adding more in 2013. We actually just added a new category called Free Things, where you will find several items that we offer at no charge. Definitely worth checking out. We’ll be adding more to this new category in 2013, so be sure and bookmark it.
6. A VERY SPECIAL FAMILY - One of the special delights for us this year is crossing paths with the Broyden family from B.C., Canada. Jimmy Broyden, the dad, was the stunt director for the film Courageous and has been a stunt coordinator for many years. He and his wife have a bunch of children, and these are very talented kids. Their daughter Emma (18 years old) just produced her first film Precious, and their 14-year-old son Isaac just produced his first feature length movie, The Adventure’s of Jake’s Farm. Each film presents a solid Gospel message, and Lighthouse Trails is carrying them both. We can’t wait to see what else will be coming out from the Broydens. Be sure and watch the Behind the Scenes sections if you get these movies. Quite a blessing.
7. MISC – Along with expanding our children’s section in the store (not an easy thing to do, by the way, in today’s artificial carnal world) and our fairly new gift section (with KJV Scripture mugs for your Bible verse tea, beautiful Lighthouse watercolor notecards, and braided baskets from our widows in Kenya whom Lighthouse Trails readers support through the Bryce Home project), we have added another Bible to our small, carefully selected Bible collection. This one is a Large Print Ultra Thin KJV Reference Bible in a black genuine leather cover, a very nice Bible with easy to read lettering.
TWO IMPORTANT LISTS IN 2012:
In 2012, we added these two lists that we hope will aid Christian believers in their research for the truth and their contending for the faith:
50 Top Organizations With a Significant Role in Bringing Contemplative Spirituality to the Church
100 Top Contemplative Proponents Evangelical Christians Turn To Today
* * Spotlight Article by a Lighthouse Trails Author in 2012:
The Facts Behind My Departure from Calvary Chapel – by Roger Oakland -Part One
Part 2: The Facts Behind My Departure from Calvary Chapel – by Roger Oakland
LOOKING AHEAD AT 2013
NEW LIGHTHOUSE TRAILS PRINT JOURNAL
In November of 2012, we announced our first subscription-based Lighthouse Trails Print Journal, with the first issue coming out in mid-January 2013. You can read the press announcement by clicking here. We are excited to finally be able to offer a print journal to Lighthouse Trails readers. Just so you know, the free e-mail newsletter that you get in your e-mail box is still going to be sent out 2-3 times a month and will always remain free.
NEW BOOKS in 2013
We are happy to announce that Berit Kjos’ book How to Protect Your Child from the New Age and Spiritual Deception will be released this spring. This 300+ page manual-for-parents is a must for every parent’s library. Berit has a long-held reputation of upholding biblical truth while having the courage to expose the hidden things of darkness that are hurting our children. In her book, she covers various categories including the media , T.V., the Internet, books, magazines, the New Age/New Spirituality in the schools and in churches, movies, toys, and more. Each chapter is followed by a chapter with practical ideas and suggestions on how parents can protect and equip their children. This is really a packed and powerful book.
In the fall of 2013, we are releasing a new book by Ray Yungen – Spiritual Formation: Model of Apostasy. This book will be a companion book to his earlier book, A Time of Departing, which uncovered the truth about the contemplative prayer movement. Spiritual Formation, as it is being called, has impacted nearly every facet of modern day Christianity, from colleges to youth organizations to publishing houses to churches to Bible study leaders and even to homeschoolers. Spiritual Formation: Model of Apostasy takes the whole movement head on. This long-needed book will describe what the movement is all about, how it is tied in with last days Bible prophecy, and it will name the names of those who are bringing it to pass.
We have a few other books we are presently working on but do not yet have a release date for them. One of these is the sequel to Castles in the Sand by Canadian author Carolyn A. Greene; another is a new edition of Day of No Return by Kressmann Taylor; and we are working on three Spanish translated books: El Color de Dolor (The Color of Pain), Un Tiempo de APOSTASÍA (A Time of Departing), and Atrapada en el infierno de Hitler (Trapped in Hitler’s Hell) by Anita Dittman. Sally A., our Spanish translator, is a retired missionary to Columbia and a faithful member of the Lighthouse Trails team. She has worked tirelessly on these translations, and we plan to have these three in print in 2013.
NEW PRINT BOOKLET TRACTS
Lighthouse Trails Publishing is pleased to announce the start of print booklet tracts that can be used for sharing important truths with others. The booklets are printed on high quality 60#white gloss paper with a color cover and are 5.5″ x 8.5″; each booklet is between 12-24 pages (prices will vary depending on number of pages). We will be adding new booklet titles frequently. These will be great to buy in bulk and give out. Topics will include: contemplative prayer, spiritual formation, emerging church, Purpose Driven movement, dominionism, labyrinths,the road to Rome, lectio divina, and many other topics that Lighthouse Trails covers. Click here to see our starting collection. We’ll be adding more titles frequently so be sure and bookmark this page. Each one will be offered in bulk rates with as much as 50% off retail, depending on the quantity ordered. If you have requests for particular topics to be made into booklets, please drop us a line at email@example.com.
TWO NEW BIBLE VERSE TEA BLENDS
As many of you know, at the close of 2010, Lighthouse Trails launched a “tent-making” business called The Shepherd’s Garden. We created our very own blends of healthy organic tea. Each tea bag has a small tag attached on a string, and each tag has a Bible verse on it. This was a way we have felt would help sustain the ministry of Lighthouse Trails and also have a small part in getting people to think about God’s Word. In 2013, we are going to be announcing two new blends. In addition to our Cranberry Orange Rooibos, Chai Green, Peach White, and Peppermint teas we already have, we are currently preparing for production of Vanilla Almond Rooibos and Red Chai. A lot of people have told us how much they love our tea. Click here to read some of these comments.
That’s a recap of what Lighthouse Trails Publishing was up to in 2012 and what we anticipate doing in 2013. There are lots of others things we could tell you about, but we’ll save those for upcoming issues of our e-newsletter and our print journal. May the Lord bless you and your family this new 2013 year with His wisdom, His guidance, and His peace.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7)
Note: To view our 2012 Year in Reviews, click here.